Tuesday 3 August 2010

Album Review: Nobody's Daughter, Hole, May 2010

Although I have always been somewhat of a fan of Hole, it is never been in a serious way. Previously, some songs have been fantastic, while others have been dire. This of course was before I heard their latest album, Nobody's Daughter. This is Hole's first album in 12 years, since the release of Celebrity Skin in 1998 (which happens to be my second favourite Hole album).
  But what is so different about this Hole album? The riff at the start of the opening title track captures you in the first instance, a haunting melody that lingers in your mind long after you have listened to it. The lyrics are powerful and as deep as ever. The tracks on this album vary from furious (Skinny Little Bitch, How Dirty Girls Get Clean) to songs that will tear your heart open (Honey, For Once In Your Life)

Being a fan of acoustic songs, Honey was one of the first songs that really made me sit up and think "wow, they've really got it on this album". Four simple chords create a sound so sorrowful it sends shivers down your spine, and Courtney Love's variation between almost calm to almost tortured vocals gives this track a wonderful grunge edge despite the acoustic verses. Lyrics such as "Why was I not good enough to save you from destruction? And your end and my beginning they need no introduction" leads us to believe that this track can only be about one certain man...

Another fantastic track on this album is Samantha, the first song that was performed live from the new album on the Johnathan Ross show in February. What I love about this track is it seems to be in 3 separate parts. Part 1, sample lyric "watch her wrap her legs around this world, can't take the gutter from the girl" reminds us of Hole's earlier, more angst-y days, and the way these lyrics are used over more mellow guitar melody makes it fascinating to listen to. Love's vocals specially shine on this track. For anyone who has listened to Hole or Courtney Love before, you may know that she is not the greatest singer ever to grace the Earth, but then again that's not what Grunge is about. It is on part 2 of the track that the vocals begin to give you goosebumps; "through villages of Ether, my Crucifixion comes, Will you sing my hallelujah? will you tell me when its done?". The song takes on a more raw edge with guitar melodies that remind me of an older Hole. However, it is in the third section that we hear the true Hole "grunginess", reminiscent of the 90's and making any girl like me want to go out and show the world who's boss; "If you were on fire I would just throw Kerosene, coz I love so much I hate and I hate what you have seen in me". This song is an ultimate dirty girl power song, if you feeling like getting your rage on or you need to recover from a broken heart,this is what you have to listen to.

This album may be more commercial, and older fans may be angry that perhaps some of the rage isn't there. But now, the songs maintain the rage while actually sounding good. Love's vocals have seriously improved, the guitar melodies are haunting, catchy and in some cases make you want to go out and punch the first guy who causes you trouble. Its not a feminist album at all, but when you're a young girl who needs firing up, Hole will deliver.


If you like Hole, try Garbage - Greatest Hits. 

No comments:

Post a Comment